Flaky, jam-filled, and ridiculously easy these homemade strawberry pop tarts make the perfect afternoon pick me up. Ditch the packaged version and you’ll be obsessed with how easy it is to make your own!
Making pop tarts is almost…too easy. Like dangerously easy, like so easy you’ll be wanting to make them ALL the time. Plus, while this recipe uses strawberry jam, I’ve included a TON of different filling ideas below. I also used a heart shaped cookie cutter – but that parts totally optional!
I used to loooove pop tarts growing up, but haven’t been able to find a vegan version (yet…maybe one exists?!). And these definitely hit the spot! Honestly, I think they taste way better than the store bought ones.
These homemade strawberry pop tarts have a delicious flaky crust, strawberry jam filling, and of course, vanilla icing to tie it all together.
P.S. This post may contain affiliate links. Read more about my affiliate policy here.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
Minimal Ingredients – All you need to make these pop tarts are your favorite jam, flour, vegan butter, plant milk, and a bit of sugar and salt. Plus, powdered sugar if you want to add an icing.
Easy to Make– These homemade strawberry pop tarts are incredibly easy to make! They take only 15 minutes to prepare and 20 minutes to bake.
Customizable – Feel free to get creative and add your favorite jam, swirl some chocolate in there, whatever you love!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED (WITH SUBSTITUTIONS)
To make these easy pop tarts you will need the following ingredients:
All-Purpose Flour – To make the pop tart crust we need all-purpose flour. You can also use a store bought pie crust as that is essentially the same thing we are going for in this recipe.
Sugar, Salt, Plant Milk – To help create the dough.
Vegan Butter – To create a delicious, flaky dough we are using vegan butter. We want the butter to be cold so that it melts in the oven, and creates a nice flaky crust!
Strawberry Jam – For the filling, strawberry jam is used, but you can also use whatever jam/jelly you have on hand.
Powdered Sugar – For the icing a simple powdered sugar and plant milk is used. Any non-dairy milk is fine (oat milk, soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk, etc).
Agave/Maple Syrup – The final ingredient is optional, but to create a vegan ‘egg wash’ maple syrup (or agave) is mixed with plant milk and brushed on top of the dough prior to baking.
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY POP TARTS
Making these heart shaped strawberry pop tarts is super easy. With just a few simple steps you’ll have fresh, homemade pop tarts ready to enjoy! For full ingredients and instructions make sure to check out the recipe card below.
Step One: Start by making the dough and whisking together the flour, salt and sugar. Next, divide the cold butter into chunks and add to the dough. Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter or fork.
Step Two: Once only small chunks of butter remain, add in the non-dairy milk and mix together to form a smooth, non-sticky dough. If the dough feels soft, refrigerate it for 15-20 minutes. We don’t want the dough to be too soft as it will be hard to roll out and won’t be as flaky.
Step Three: Roll out the dough into a large rectangle about 1/8 inch thick. Using a 2-4 inch heart cookie cutter, cut out heart shaped pieces of dough (you can also do 2-4 inch squares). Try and cut out the shapes as close together as possible as you don’t want to roll out the dough more than 2-3 times as it will get tough.
Step Four: On half of the hearts, add a small layer of jam to the middle. Optionally, use a smaller heart cookie cutter to cut out a heart in the middle of the remaining heart shaped dough pieces. Place the dough with a heart cut out on top of the jam layer.
Step Five: Using a fork, press the sides of the dough together and brush with the vegan ‘egg wash’ Top with coarse sugar.
Step Six: Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown on top. Let cool for 10 minutes.
Step Seven: Mix together the powdered sugar and non-dairy milk and drizzle over the pop tarts!
STORAGE & REHEATING
These homemade strawberry pop tarts are best enjoyed fresh! However, they can be kept at room temperature for 1-2 days. Then, placed in the fridge for an additional 3 days.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can I use store bought pie crust?
Absolutely! You can make this recipe even easier by using a store bought pie crust.
What else can I fill these pop tarts with?
You can fill these pop tarts with any of your favorite jelly/jam flavors. I’ve also filled them with chocolate which is also delicious!
What should I do with the mini hearts I cut out?
I brushed mine with the vegan egg wash and baked as I would the pop tarts. You can eat as is, dip in the jam, or drizzle with icing.
You can also place back on top of the pop tart post-baking to create a 3D effect.
How do I create a vegan egg wash?
Creating a vegan egg wash allows these pop tarts to get a nice golden brown color, similar to what you’d achieve if you used a regular egg wash. To create a vegan egg wash simply mix together 2 tablespoons of non dairy milk with 1/2 tablespoon of maple syrup or agave.
OTHER EASY DESSERT RECIPES YOU’LL LOVE
If you decide to try these out, let me know! I love seeing your recreations tagged on Instagram @nourishedwithnatalie.
Homemade Strawberry Pop Tarts (Heart Shaped!)
- 2 ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup vegan butter, cold
- ¾ cup non-dairy milk + 1-2 tbsp more, if needed
- ½ cup strawberry jam
- 1 tbsp coarse sugar, optional
Vegan 'Egg Wash'
- 2 tbsp non-dairy milk
- ½ tbsp maple syrup / agave
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ tbsp non-dairy milk
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Next, divide the cold butter into chunks and add to the dough. Cut the butter into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter or fork.
- Once only small chunks of butter remain, add in the non-dairy milk and mix together to form a smooth, non-sticky dough (adding an additional tablespoon if needed). If the dough feels soft, refrigerate it for 15-20 minutes. We don't want the dough to be too soft as it will be hard to roll out and won't be as flaky.
- Roll out the dough into a large rectangle about 1/8 inch thick. Using a 2-4 inch heart cookie cutter, cut out heart shaped pieces of dough. Try and cut out the shapes as close together as possible as you don't want to roll out the dough more than 2-3 times as it will get tough.
- On half of the hearts, add a small layer of jam to the middle. Optionally, use a smaller heart cookie cutter to cut out a heart in the middle of the remaining heart shaped dough pieces. Place the dough with a heart cut out on top of the jam layer.
- In a small bowl whisk together the non-dairy milk and maple syrup for the egg wash.
- Using a fork, press the sides of the dough together and brush with the vegan 'egg wash' Top with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown on top. Let cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Mix together the powdered sugar and non-dairy milk and drizzle over the pop tarts. Enjoy!