This post is all about how to make sweet potato gnocchi.
3 ingredients. That’s all you need to make this easy gnocchi recipe. And? Chances are you already have all of the ingredients on hand!
It’s ridiculously simple and yet packed with flavor in every bite. My favorite way to enjoy it? Tossed in a simple butter sauce with fresh herbs.
This sweet potato gnocchi is:
- The Perfect Fall Recipe
- Easily made gluten-free
How do I prepare sweet potato gnocchi?
- The first step is to cook the sweet potato. You can choose between either roasting the sweet potato in the oven, or in a pinch you can microwave the sweet potato. Either way you cook it, make sure to poke the sweet potato with a fork a few times to help steam escape!
- If you choose the oven route, cook the sweet potato for 40-50 minutes, or until you can easily pierce it with a fork. For the microwave method, cook for 7-8 minutes, or until easily pierced as well.
- Once the sweet potato is tender, let cool for a few minutes until it’s comfortable to handle. Once it’s cooled off slightly, you can peel it. Discard the peel and either use a potato masher or ricer (or, a fork) to mash the sweet potato in a bowl until no chunks remain.
- Add a cup of all-purpose flour (or use a 1:1 gluten free flour substitute) to the bowl and mix together, start incorporating another 1/2 -1 cup of flour and keep mixing until a rough dough forms. Sprinkle an additional 1/2 cup of flour onto a surface and add the dough, kneading until it’s completely smooth.
- Form the dough into a flat ball and divide into four equal-sized sections. Then, roll out each section into a 1/2-1 inch thick cylinder. Slice each cylinder into 1/2 inch thick pieces.
How do I cook the sweet potato gnocchi?
- Bring a medium-sized pot of salted water to a boil. Then, add in the gnocchi and let boil for a few minutes. Once the gnocchi rises, let it boil for an additional 30 seconds and then remove with a slotted spoon.
- If making the butter sauce, heat a pan over medium high heat and add 2 tbsp of vegan butter. Add the gnocchi and sauté for a few minutes until golden brown.
- Serve with fresh herbs! Or, if skipping the butter sauce, simply serve with your favorite sauce.
If you make this recipe, please leave a comment and review below letting me know how you enjoyed it! And, I always love being tagged on your recreations on Instagram @nourishedwithnatalie.
Looking for other fall recipes? Try one of these!
Sweet Potato Gnocchi
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 2-2 1/4 cups)
- 2 cups all purpose-flour + 1/2 cup for kneading *can sub 1:1 gluten free flour
- 1 tsp salt
Easy Butter Sauce
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- a pinch fresh thyme or basil
- You can prepare the sweet potato two ways: Preheat the oven to 400F and poke a few holes in the sweet potato. Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork. Alternatively, you can poke with a few holes, and microwave for 7-8 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork. Let sit until the sweet potatoes have cooled enough so that you can work with it.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and discard the peel. Mash the sweet potatoes until pulverized.
- Add in 1 cup of flour and mix together, adding in an additional 1/2-1 cup until a rough dough forms. Spread the last 1/2 cup on a cutting board to knead the sweet potato until you are able to form a smooth, non-sticky dough.
- Once the dough is ready, form into a flat ball and cut into 4 parts. Roll each part into a 1 inch thick cylinder. Slice each cylinder into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add in the gnocchi, let the gnocchi boil for a few minutes until it rises to the top of the bowl, then let boil an additional 15-30 seconds and remove.
- If wanting to make the simple butter sauce, heat 2 tbsp of butter in a pan on medium heat. Add the gnocchi and let sauté until golden brown. Add fresh herbs and enjoy.